2018 Best of Acadia Series
July 16 - 20, 2018
College of the Atlantic
The fourth annual summer Best of Acadia week co-sponsored by Acadia Senior College and College of the Atlantic focuses on higher education and public policy and features five distinguished educators, all of whom have also served in national or state positions beyond their current institutions.
One of our presenters addresses public policy directly, outlining his research into ways to resolve issues of poverty in America; another approaches indirectly by commenting on why art should matter. We will also hear some radical ideas for re-shaping higher education, an explanation of how an apparently single-focus college prepares graduates for many different careers, and the ways in which a small nearby college prepares its students to address the largest and most complex global issues.
Keynote address - Tuesday, July 17 at 5 p.m. Wine reception to follow.
- This year's keynote speaker is David Ellwood, Professor of Political Economy at Harvard (and Winter Harbor summer resident).
Speaker presentations - July 16, 18, 19, and 20 at 9 a.m. Beverages and pastries included.
- Monday, July 16th - Darron Collins, President of College of the Atlantic.
- Wednesday, July 18th - William Brennan, President of Maine Maritime Academy.
- Thursday, July 19th - Laurie LaChance, President of Thomas College.
- Friday, July 20th - Deborah Dluhy, Board member for Maine College of Art and formerly head of the School of the Museum of Fine Arts.
Coffee and Conversation - Tuesday, July 17 at 9 a.m.
- Filmmaker Olympia Stone and Catherine Clinger will show clips from and discuss Stone's latest film about the award-winning American sculptor Elizabeth King. Best of Acadia participants are welcome to attend this regular COA Tuesday morning event.
All talks will be in Gates Auditorium on the COA campus.
The week concludes with a sunset cruise on Frenchman Bay on the Friday evening, July 20th. Seating is limited for the cruise so sign up early.
Weekly passes for the speaker series are $75 (includes the Friday sunset cruise). Please contact Acadia Senior College to reserve tickets - (207) 288-9500 or email@example.com.